Michigan Works! Northeast Consortium
Marisue Moreau, Director
Alayne Hansen, Business Solutions Professional firstname.lastname@example.org
4595 Salling Drive, Grayling, MI 49768
(7 locations across northeast Michigan)
P: 989-348-8790 / F: 989-348-4998
How many staff/volunteers do you employ?
35 (6 in the Grayling office)
The Michigan Works! Northeast Consortium is a governmental organization formed under Michigan Public Act 7. Since its inception in 1974, it has evolved into a multi-purpose unit, offering services including employment services, job training, and related economic development activities and services. Funding is provided by the State of Michigan, various federal grants and other sources as appropriate.
What product or service does your business provide?
- We partner with job seekers to enhance their education, help find employment, and expand career opportunities.We offer services such as: resume assistance, interview coaching, job search guidance, career counseling, career fairs and events, financial aid options for in-demand jobs, networking opportunities, access to the Pure Michigan Talent Connect Job Bank, potential classroom or on-the-job training programs, information on child care, homeless services and more!
- We partner with businesses to develop recruiting and retention strategies.We offer services such as: qualified applicant referrals, employee recruitment, career fair hosting, interview space by appointment, on-the-job training providing valuable wage reimbursement, assistance with job postings, current labor market info, up-to-date info on state and federal employment programs, government contracting assistance, and one single point of contact for all business services.
What is a product/service that you provide that people may not know?
- We can help employers apply for Going PRO Talent Fund grants, which are competitive awards for employers to train and upgrade their workers’ skills to help the business grow and remain competitive.
- We can offer employers On-the-Job Training and customized training programs, which offer funding and wage-reimbursement for employers to upgrade their existing or new employees’ skills in order to obtain, retain, or maintain employment.
- We also offer a new program to Gaylord and Grayling employers called Safety Net WORKS. Safety Net WORKS! is a business resource network (BRN), which is a private-public collaborative whose purpose is to improve the lives of your employees through on-site support and training. When you consider how many employees are “one flat tire” away from economic crisis, this program can provide them the assistance they need to remain productive and employed.
What is a unique fact about your business that people may not know?
In 2018, Michigan Works! Northeast Consortium
– had over 25,000 job seekers visit their service centers
– helped fill 1,936 jobs
– assisted 1,553 area employers
– and helped to secure over $492k in Going PRO Talent Fund grants
Additional information you wish to share:
Michigan Works! coordinates several high school and college events for students including Mock Interviews with local employers, tours to area employers to learn about job opportunities and skills needed, and career days. Currently our Youth Program has 11 high school students doing work-based learning at 9 local employers. Our agency is working closely with educators to bring students opportunities to gain experiences in working and to gain skills that will benefit them after high school.
We also perform multiple presentations at schools on Job Interviewing Skills, How to Dress to Make a Good Impression, Reflecting a Positive Image and many more! We also host Resume Writing Workshops, and career planning.