The Area Agencies on Aging Association of Michigan, the Northeast Michigan Community Service Agency, and the Crawford County Commission on Aging would like to invite you to participate in Senior Action Week and Older Michiganian’s Day next week!
Senior Action Week
Learn about the top five advocacy priorities regarding older adults and why they are so important in Michigan. Help us rally to protect these vital services that allow seniors to age with dignity and independence in their own homes.
- Monday: Rebalance Community-Based Long-Term Services & Supports (LTSS) Funding
- Tuesday: Increase Access to Non-Medicaid Home & Community-Based Services
- Wednesday: Bridging the Digital Divide for Older Adults
- Thursday: Support & Strengthen the Direct Care Workforce
- Friday: Establishment of a Kinship Caregiver Navigator Program
Older Michiganian’s Day
This year’s Older Michiganian’s Day features a Livestream Zoom event. Hear from legislators on important issues that impact Michigan’s most vulnerable population.
- 10:05am—Welcome: Harold Mast, MSAC delegate & Vice Chair
- 10:10am—Opening Remarks: Dave LaLumia, Executive Director, 4AM and Paula Cunningham, State Director, AARP
- 10:15am—OMD Video Premiere: Dona Wishart, Chair, Commission on Services to the Aging
- 10:20am—Live Platform Presentation: Katie Wendel, AAA 1B; Christine Vanlandingham, Region 4 AAA; and Jason Maciejewski, The Senior Alliance
- 10:40am—Live Q & A on the Platform Topics
- 10:55am—Legislator Remarks/Responses to the Platform: (Recorded)
- Speaker 1- Senate Majority Leader Mike Shirkey
- Speaker 2 – Representative Donna Lasinski
- Speaker 3- Speaker Jason Wentworth
- Speaker 4: Representative Mary Whiteford
- Speaker 5: Senator Jim Ananich
- Speaker 6- U.S. Senator Gary Peters
- 11:10am—Senior Citizen of the Year Award: Dr. Alexis Travis, Sponsored by Consumers Energy (Award Recipients: Dr. Surae Eaton & Gloria Kovnot)
- 11:15am—Call to Action: Yaushica Aubert, CEO, Valley Area Agency on Aging
- 11:20am—Adjourn Livestream event
How to Join
Stay tuned to our Facebook page daily for more information about each of the advocacy priorities.
To join the Older Michiganian’s Day livestream event at 10am on Wednesday visit https://zoom.us/j/96885691099?pwd=TS9JS2JoRjRjQlE4MnplR2syMXk3QT09 (Meeting ID: 968 8569 1099 Passcode: 616294) or call 1-646-558-8656 to join via phone.
Alice Snyder, Director